You can start enjoying biblical prosperity now if you’re a child of God.
The blessing of prosperity is subjected to some conditions of course. God doesn’t spoil His children, but you can really start enjoying success and abundance quickly if you understand God’s conditions and submit to them.
What is the biblical definition of prosperity? It is important to first understand what biblical prosperity is about, so you can tell when you don’t have it and fix the problem, or give thanks when you realize you have received favors from God.
Prosperity glorifies God
We are created for God’s glory (Isaiah 43:7). But after sin entered the picture, we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).
Jesus came and died for our sin, so that when we became born again by putting our faith in Jesus Christ we could obtain salvation. Salvation comes in manifold, and it includes restoration of our ability to glorify God:
What is the glory of God? His creativity, beauty, perfection, wisdom, power, knowledge, and every virtue that He displays by being Himself. He also displays His glory through His creation, and of all creations, human kind was the most special and precious because we were made in His image (Genesis 1:27).
The package of restoration includes power, authority, abundance, and all kind of blessings that Jesus Christ has (Ephesians 1:3).
We are to go out and show people how blessed we are, not walking around poor and defeated while praising God for being poor and defeated.
16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Now, doing good works isn’t as easy as it sounds. According to the standard of the Bible, good work isn’t just any work that seems good to men. Everything that isn’t from God is sin. That means you and I have to discern God’s will and find out what He wants us to do in every specific situation and do it in the right timing with the right motives.
Sounds impossible, doesn’t it?
In other words, glorifying God is a supernatural process that requires supernatural power to achieve.
7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
To glorify God, we need to be in a very intimate relationship with Jesus. We need to make sure that every prayer that we pray will be answered. If we are in this state, then we will have no problem bearing much fruits and glorify God by bearing much fruit.
You may ask, how can you make sure your prayers will be answered? Isn’t that presumptuous?
Everything that God promised in the Bible and everything that the Holy Spirit impressed upon/or revealed to you through His word were yours to have (2 Cor 1:20). And you can be certain that you can have what you ask if you and Jesus are close and like-minded.
Since Jesus has ascended to heaven about 2000 years ago, many false teachings and human philosophies have crept in to the Christian community and try to nullify God’s word (1 Cor 2:1-5; 2 Tim 3:5). This is unfortunate, because many Christians have been kept away from the supernatural power, which come only with the pure truth, by these false teachings and human philosophies.
Right teaching will enable the hearers to bear good fruits, but wrong teaching will cause the hearers to bear wrong fruits.
My journal entry: Glory of God
How to live supernaturally: Parable of the Mustard Seed
Prosperity is a blessed state of having the resource and ability to accomplish God’s will
2 Corinthians 9:8
8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:
12I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
19But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
True prosperity is not hoarding. Hoarding is in fact a sign of poverty. Those who hoard will also hoard critters and dirt, because critters and dirt always gather around large pile of useless items. Hoarders will have to maintain their increasing pile with stress and extra expenses.
Same goes with money in the bank account. Jesus says moth and rust will destroy it, and thieves will try to steal it. (John 6:19)
However, that doesn’t mean if we are wealthy we should just sit back and allow the thieves to steal our wealth. I will try to write more posts about how to keep our foe Satan away and make him pay back what he had stolen from us, because he is the one who steal, kill, and destroy. (John 10:10)
A better way to handle wealth is to give it to those who are expanding the kingdom of God. Paper money that sits in a bank does nothing but gets eroded by inflation. Keeping paper money in the bank is worst than burying gold underground, because gold is immune to inflation.
True prosperity is a blessed state of always having something to give to those who are in need. Again, it is a supernatural process. Give, and you will be given more. (Luke 6:38)
Many people think that Jesus was a poor guy when he was walking on earth, but no, he was never poor except when he was nailed on the cross naked. He always had enough resource to do what he had to do. Sometime he would just perform a miracle and create whatever he needed when his treasury wasn’t around (Who was Judas, the one who betrayed Jesus)
Judas stole from the ministry fund regularly. If Jesus got a treasury to take care of his wallet, it had to have a lot of money in it. And if someone managed to steal from it, the pile must be big enough so that when some money is gone no one would notice.
Prosperity of God is a foolish and narrow way
1 Corinthians 1:26-30
23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
God isn’t impressed by self-sufficiency. Therefore in the Bible God often pit the weak against the strong to show to the world that He alone is the source of all things good.
Humans are capable of succeeding on their own without God. God gave good talents and natural strength to men when He created us, so even though sin entered the world and corrupted us all, we can still go on our own way and achieve something without God.
Herein lies the gravest problem in our history – our departing and independence from God was the first sin we committed. To this day, the stubborn desire to stay independence is what has kept many from God.
We have to be humble enough to receive true prosperity from God. If we think we are strong, then we have no room for God’s power. If we think we are rich, then we are not able to receive true wealth from God. Jesus said it is hard for those who trust in the riches to enter into the kingdom of heaven. (Mark 10: 24)
Therefore, God, in His mercy and wisdom, often choose the foolish, the weak, and the poor to serve Him, so He can demonstrate His power through them and motivate the wise, the strong, and the rich to humble themselves before Him.
To the foolish, the weak, and the poor, they have no other things to cling onto, so it’s easier for them to be empty enough for God to fill. That doesn’t mean the well off people cannot receive God, but it’s just harder for them if they think they have everything.
I have seen the opposite in rare instance. Sometime well-off people may humble themselves before God and realize they need Him, while the foolish, weak, and poor ones are conceited for no reasons.
No matter where you are in life, you can start emptying yourself and ask God to bless you with prosperity. You can be a rich man, but still God can give you better things if you humble yourself before Him and ask.
The way of God looks foolish to the world, and it’s very narrow. When Jesus got crucified, who could have guessed it was actually a victory for God? Every believer at the time thought the evil had triumphed, until Jesus was resurrected and explained to them about the cross.
The way of the cross is a narrow path. Many people expected Jesus to become a military conqueror and delivered then from the tyranny of the Roman Empire, but he went to the cross instead.
Likewise, if we want true prosperity from God, we have to take up our cross and follow Jesus. (Matthew 16:24)
Worldly prosperity may serve you in this life, but it ultimately leads you to Hell in the afterlife
16 Do not be overawed when a man grows rich,
when the splendor of his house increases;
17 for he will take nothing with him when he dies,
his splendor will not descend with him.
18 Though while he lived he counted himself blessed—
and men praise you when you prosper-
19 he will join the generation of his fathers,
who will never see the light of life .
20 A man who has riches without understanding
is like the beasts that perish.
Many rich and successful people hold seminars and write books on how to be as rich and successful as them. People celebrate and praise them for their wealth and fame and are willing to spend a lot of time and money to be their students.
So did I. I thought they must have something good to learn from if they can become so successful in the world. After spending months wandering in the world of self-help/success/money gurus and expert, I realized I was so distracted by their teachings that I couldn’t focus on what God is trying to tell me.
Gradually, I also realized that the prosperity of the world and prosperity of God were entirely different and they could not be mixed together. (Matthew 9:16-17)
Why does prosperity of the world lead to Hell? Is there something wrong with it? Something immoral?
The main issue is that these people have been relying on their own strength. Self-sufficiency might give you a short-lived success in this world, but it won’t last. Isaiah 40:8 says, “The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.”
But if you build your career based on daily provision from God, not only will you experience wild success beyond imagination, but what you accomplish will last forever.
Those who spend every workday doing their own things will not be able to discern God’s will and obey Him properly. Even though they may be active church goers, if they spend at least 5 days per week doing their own things, they are just religious rebels.
If we spend 5 days per week doing things we think are right, but are distracted from God’s voice, there are huge chances that we will fall into temptation and hidden sins.
Prosperity in itself is a good thing, but are you trying to build your own prosperity and use it the way you deem right? Or are you looking upon God for daily provision and give your wealth to whoever God directs you to give it to?
Prosperity from the spiritual world: Law of Attraction, the Secret, Visualization, Meditation, and other mysterious practice
8Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory;
9and he said to Him, “All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me.”
10Then Jesus said to him, “Go, Satan! For it is written, ‘YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'”
This is exactly what I am talking about in the previous section. To try to get prosperity without God will ultimately and quickly leads to sin, and then ultimately Hell, if one dies in sin before repentance.
Mysterious practices that claim to make people successful and rich, or give them anything they desire by telling them to “think it into existence”, are actually witchcraft. At first, their teachings would seem to make a lot of sense, but it gradually bring you through the continuum from soft-core, subtle philosophies to all out demonic doctrines.
They will tell you that the mysterious power that gives you what you visualize/pray/meditate/manifest is the mysterious power source of the Universe, a supreme being, ascended master, spiritual guide, or some other identities or deities in various form or titles.
But in fact they all came from the same spiritual kingdom – Satan’s kingdom. If you open yourself just slightly to these spiritual beings, they will enter you and influence you, and ultimately deceive you from the true biblical God. (2 Corinthians 4:4, Ephesians 6:12)
Witchcraft works, but for what ultimate purpose? It works to awe people in this lifetime. But it cannot save their souls from the eternal God. And it crumbles immediately when is confronted by the power of God. (Exodus 7: 8-12)
The only reason Satan gives his followers the power and knowledge of witchcraft is to deceive them and to hinder spiritual growth and well being of Christians. (Matthew 24:24, 1 Timothy 4:1)
Prosperity gives you something out of nothing
The Bible has recorded numerous instances where God created something out of nothing for His people. Perhaps you are familiar with the miracles that happened during the Exodus. Moses hit a rock and there came the water. The Manna were dropped from heaven and fed the Israelite everyday for 40 year.
And there were more:
- A prophet received meat from crows and he drank from a dwindling river during a prolonged famine, and then after the river dried up, God sustained a widow supernaturally and provided that prophet daily meals through her. (1 Kings 17)
- Isaac got a very pretty wife through supernatural means, but he didn’t even know that until his future wife met him, and then they went into his tent immediately! (Exodus 24)
- One year, Isaac planted crops and reaped a hundredfold because of God’s blessing. The rest of the nation only got average harvest. Soon Isaac became super wealthy and the entire nation envied him. (Genesis 26:12-14)
- Abraham, the father of faith (which means he is the father of all Christians), was supernaturally rich and prosperous. (Genesis 13:5-6; 21:22-23; Genesis 24:34-35)
- Jobs, a super rich godly man who went through severe trials from Satan, became double rich and blessed after he survived the Satanic attacks. (Jobs 42: 10-17)
- Jesus fed 5000 men with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fishes, including their wives and children. (Matthew 14:13-21)
- A concubine and her son who got kicked out by their family wandered in a desert and ran out of water. The woman wept and the child cried, and God listened to the child, so He enlightened the eyes of the woman and she saw a well. Moreover, God blessed that kid and promised him to be the father of a great nation, which is today’s northern Arab people. (Genesis 21:8-20)
- Jesus took his time to preach like usual while his disciple Peter accompanied him. Peter was still a fisherman. He didn’t give up his job to serve Jesus full time. After Jesus finished preaching, he told Peter where he should let his net down, which Peter did halfheartedly because he and his fellow fishermen had already worked all night in the previous night and found nothing. This time, he caught so many fishes that the net almost broke, and then Peter and his pals gave up everything and followed Jesus full time. (Luke 5:1-11)
And many more instances than I can cover in this post
In Christ, we have the blessing of Abraham (Galatians 3:14), which means we can enjoy any supernatural provision that is similar to the ones on the list above. The blessing of Abraham takes active faith to manifest. If you are not aware of that blessing, and if you don’t have enough faith, prosperity of God would still elude you.
What is faith?: The Parable Of The Mustard Seed
Prosperity enables you to tackle mission impossible
God often calls us to do something that we are under-qualified to do and enable us to do it, so that He can reveal His glory through us.
He doesn’t want us to climb through the ladder through human means, but instead He wants us to leapfrog to the top with spiritual power if we rely on Him fully.
Not only will God gives us His supernatural strength, power, and revelation to handle the big moments for the short-term, but He may also give us permanent skill, ability, and knowledge to take on some professional vacations such as mason, politician, warrior, judge, king, teacher, prophet, apostle, fisherman, orator, artist, priest, administrator, and more:
- God gave Abraham the task of impregnating his wife, Sarah. When Abraham finally accomplished that task, he was 100 years old, and Sarah was 90. (Genesis 21:5; Genesis 17:17-21) Later, Abraham went on to produce even more children. (Genesis 25:1-4) He went from an infertile husband to fruitful father!
- Jacob fled from his older brother and his wealthy family, and went to work for his uncle as an employee. This uncle cheated him all the time, but still, after 20 years of service under his uncle as a super shepherd (Genesis 30: 27-30), Jacob managed to become very rich at the end. (Genesis 30:43)
- Joseph, one of Jacob’s sons, got sold to Egypt as slave and became the chief servant of the captain of Pharaoh and he was a very successful servant. (Genesis 39:2-6) Later, he got framed and was sent to prison, but he became the warden’s assistant and was also very successful at his job. (Gensis 39: 20-23) Then he became the Pharaoh’s second in command… (see the last section).
- God often talked to Moses, but the people were scared of God, so they demanded Moses to be their middle person instead of facing God themselves. (Exodus 20:19) Later, however, God anointed 70 elders of Israel with His Spirit and they were able to share some of Moses’ workload. (Numbers 11:16-17)
- God ordered the Israelites to build the Tabernacle in a desert. It was a giant piece of delicate and expensive work of art. But the Israelites were slaves, they had no skills of that sort. For generations, they had done nothing but laboring in brick and mortar and all kind of outdoor hard labor work for Egypt. (Exodus 1:11-14) So God chose a chief craftsmen from among them and filled him with His Spirit, with skill, ability, and knowledge of all kinds of crafts and artistic designs. God also dispensed skill to other general craftsmen to do what God wanted them to do. (Exodus 31:1-11; Exodus 35: 30-35; Exodus 36:1)
- God chose a child to be the future king of Israel. God sent His prophet to anoint that child, David, and from the day on, the Spirit of God came upon child David in power. (1 Samuel 16:13) Later, it was revealed that David became a prolific composer of worship songs, and his music could resist demonic forces. (1 Samuel 16:23) Not only that, the Spirit filled teenager David was able to kill lion and bear with his bare hands. Bare hands! (1 Samuel 17:34-37) And that was only child play to teenage David, because he later faced a giant who put the entire nation of Israel under fear, and killed him in seconds. (1 Samuel 7:45-51)
- Daniel had the Spirit of God inside him, so even though he was captured by Babylonian and was made to be a servant for the foreign king, he soon became the prime minister in that foreign kingdom. Four times the dynasty had changed, but Daniel remained a powerful official in each empire. No one was able to find any fault in him. (Daniel 4:8-9,18; Daniel 5:11-12,14; Daniel 6:3-5) You know how hard it is for a politician to be too perfect for his enemies to find fault with. In politics, there are just too many factors and crises that are out of human control. It’s impossible to be a perfect politician. The only politicians people thought perfect always turned out to be mass killing dictators.
Of course there were many more characters who got anointed by God and had done amazing things, not once or twice, but for the rest of their life since the anointing of God’s Spirit came upon them. But some might argue that it only happened in the Old Testament era, so let see what God did to characters in the New Testament era:
- Even Jesus himself received the Holy Spirit before he started his ministry on earth. (Luke 3:21) He later became filled with the power of the Holy Spirit at the start of His ministry, and everyone recognized that power and praise him. (Luke 4:14-15)
- After Jesus died on the cross, the disciples sort of gave up and forgot everything he said. (Luke 24:13-32) They were dumb. Jesus then appeared to them and said to them, “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high. [the Holy Spirit]” (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8) So after Jesus’ ascension they did tarry in Jerusalem and received the Holy Spirit, and behold, these disciples were no longer dumb after they received the Spirit. They quoted the Bible right, preached the full Gospel, healed the sick, and brought many to God. (Acts 1:12-14; Acts 2-5)
- Followed by powerful ministry of the apostles, the church had massive influx of new believers, and even the Spirit-filled apostles were having trouble taking care of the administrative work, so they selected 7 Spirit-filled men to take care of the admin work, and as a result the church grew even more rapidly. (Acts 6:1-7)
To achieve the impossible, you need supernatural power. Base on the above, we can conclude that permanent excellence come only with the indwelling of His Spirit. That means biblical prosperity can only be obtained by a Spirit filled person.
The blessing of prosperity protects you from harm and detour
9Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?
10Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.
Satan is always outside trying to get in to steal, kill, and destroy, but God puts a hedge around us if we are in a good relationship with Him. Without the hedge, we are at the mercy of Satan, but he has no mercy. He will bring sickness, accident, conflict, and misfortune into our life anytime he wants if there is no hedge protecting us.
Some people enjoy more blessings than the others simply because they have a hedge around them. (Psalm 84:11) Even non-Christian has it. (Matt 5:45) Some Christians, however, might have broken hedges because of their sins, their leaders’ sins, or their family’s sins.
6Blessed shalt thou be when thou comest in, and blessed shalt thou be when thou goest out.
7The LORD shall cause thine enemies that rise up against thee to be smitten before thy face: they shall come out against thee one way, and flee before thee seven ways.
Some people are accident-prone. It could be a supernatural phenomenon. If you are accident-prone, find out what is against you. If that is a result of curses, you can break the curse in the name of Jesus Christ, and plead the blood of Christ over yourself and your entire family, and even the entire ancestry line.
11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.
To the contrary what most people believe, excellence or mediocrity is not something we can totally control by hard-work and positive thinking.
There are many self-help books that teach how to control one’s financial well-being and achieve success in life. They try to analyze the way to success and distill it into a bunch of formulas and principles which everyone can apply and generate the similar results, but it’s not biblical this way.
It is not biblical, because they either leave the spiritual force out of the equation, or they incorporate spiritual force that are not from God.
In the spiritual realm, it’s either God or Satan. There is no neutral ground. It’s naive to think that one can make it in life without either one of the forces at work from behind the scene. You are either with God, or with Satan. (Matt 4:8; Matt 12:30; Ephesians 2:1-2)
Prosperity is promotion, wealth, and health
Psalm 75: 6-7
6For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south.
7But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another.
Believe it or not, even evil leaders are promoted by God. If the people are godless and prayer-less, God can only give them leaders of their own kind. So if you find yourself or someone grumble and murmur against bosses and employers, look into yourself and see if you have done your duty to pray for a godly government. (1 Tim 2:1-4)
It’s an epic, thousands-years-long war between two kingdoms— kingdom of God and kingdom of Satan.
Again, this is a war that has no neutral ground— either you are with God, or you are under the manipulation and at the mercy of Satan. (Matt 4:8; Matt 12:30; Ephesians 2:1-2; 2 Corinthians 4:4, Ephesians 6:12)
Therefore, we have a duty to gain promotion. There more godly people receive promotion in every field, the more the kingdom of God can expand. We are coworkers of God. (Mark 16:20)
Example of biblical promotions:
- When a prisoner, Joseph interpreted a prophetic dream for Pharaoh and Pharaoh made him a prime minister on the spot. (Genesis 41)
- God made Moses His prophet and chose him to lead Israel out of Egypt, although Moses was already 80 years old and slow. (Exodus 4:10-12)
- God blessed a pagan widow, Ruth, and she married a rich Israel man and became one of the ancestor for Jesus Christ. ( Ruth 4:13-22)
- Read the book of Judges and you will find many similar promotions. People from all kind of background became deliverer of Israel in different generation. (Book of Judges)
- God chose child David, and anointed him with His Spirit, and I just told you his heroic achievement when a teenager. Later, he became king at the age of 30, after the wicked king Saul, who had persecuted David many times, died. (2 Samuel 5:4)
- Too many examples from the Old Testament to write them all in this post.
- In the New Testament, non-religious, uneducated Jews like Peter and John became the Apostles after they received the Holy Spirit (Acts 2) and they helped build the powerful early Church. They performed miracles that Jesus performed and won every debate with the religious people of the time. (Acts 4:13-14)
Important: Although the New Testament only mentioned the promotions of Church leaders, it’s important to know that the promotions of Old Testament are still relevant today. See the last section of this post.
11 The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your forefathers to give you. 12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. 13 The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.
Just want to show you that Biblical prosperity means literal wealth, success, and honor. Too many people try to explain away the basic meaning of prosperity in the Bible or argue that it’s an Old Testament thing.
Satan wants us to be poor and his kingdom to be rich, so that people will not see the glory of God when they look at us walking around poor and defeated, and that his servants can have plenty of money to promote and create more evil.
If we obey and follow God, all kinds of prosperity that are promised in the ENTIRE Bible will be ours.
22The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
Contrary to what religious people are saying, money doesn’t bring sorrow. But the love of money does. (1 Timothy 6:10)
15And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness
God means “all”. There is no exception. God takes away ALL sickness.
7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
8It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
So, be healthy.
Now that we know God says we are supposed to be healthy and prosperous, so how are we going to act on this information?
You can have biblical prosperity now
3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
All blessings. Every blessing you can name in the ENTIRE Bible is ours in Christ. The blessings that were written in the Old Testament and the New Testament are both relevant for us today .
14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
We have the blessing of Abraham. In every examples that I listed in this post, the protagonists were descendants of Abraham. We are now the spiritual descendants of Abraham through Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:6-9), so we are entitled to every blessing that Abraham and His children have.